Thursday, June 4, 2009

A handful of the Girls' State Participants and I after my presentation


Miss Montana's Outstanding Teen, Victoria Valentine, and I at the Telethon


Miss Montana and Miss Montana's Outstanding Teen Contestants at the Telethon

I started off my travels in Helena for the Shodair Children's Miracle Network Telethon. There were many different volunteers there including the Miss Montana Contestants and the Miss Montana's Outstanding Teen Contestants. I also got to spend the day with Victoria Valentine, Miss Montana's Outstanding Teen. We stayed entertained learning how a telethon works behind the scenes. I answered telephones and took donations, and helped present fundraising totals on air. They ended up raising over $500,000.
On Sunday I gave a speech to the ladies of Girls' State, who were starting off their week at Carrol College. There were about 220 high school juniors from all over Montana. Many were girls from very small, agricultural towns. I addressed many success principles that I wish I would have known in high school, and answered all of the girls' questions. It was a great experience.
Monday morning I headed to Great Falls to do a TV commercial with KRTV. Then Jody and I went to the Big Sky Prorodeo Roundup Committee Meeting. It was my first rodeo committee meeting and it was a great learning experience. Putting on a rodeo is not a simple task! There is a huge committee of very intelligent and productive volunteers who are behind our state fair. After the meeting, Jody and I headed back to KRTV to shoot commercials for some of the area rodeos. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Taping a short commercial is harder than it looks! I had a lot of fun through ALL of the takes.
On Tuesday, I took a historic trolley tour of Great Falls. I learned a lot about
the city- I highly recommend taking this tour from the visitor's center. It was nice to learn more about a place I spend so much time in. I then went to a Rotary club meeting with Art from KRTV. I would like to thank Art for taking me to the meeting. They invited me to come back and give my Miss Rodeo America speech for them. I think I will have to take them up on that offer. I spent a few hours at the Glikos ranch, then headed to Stanford for their rodeo committee meeting. The CM Russell Stampede sponsored my buckle and I really appreciate their generosity. Their rodeo is themed a "Recession-Bustin Weekend" and they are having a dance contest, vendors, and a rodeo produced by Gold Buckle Rodeo Co. It will be my first time attending this rodeo. I look forward to working with all of the folks on the committee.
Jill Veteto of Diamond J Leather who made my chaps has put up a website. Everyone should check it out. www.diamondjleather.com Jill is an amazing leather artist and I am very satisfied with my chaps.


No comments:

Post a Comment